View Single Post
Old 03-04-2015, 10:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
jarp

Grateful for alcoholism...

I've mentioned before that AA isn't as prevelant in Australia as it seems to be elsewhere in the world, which means al-anon is even less prevelant.

I live in a major capital city...there is one al-anon meeting. I do go to it. I know people say it might take a few different meetings to find the right group, but I don't have that option.

I don't really connect with the group, I'm at least 20 years younger, all the others have achieved looooong term recovery (10-30 years apparently - all of them), all are ACOA's (I'm not), there are 9 of us inc me.

One thing I don't get.....once everyone finishes their share, they all say word for word "I am grateful alcoholism exists in my life...because without alcoholism in my life, I would not have al-anon and this group".

I admit I am struggling with this. Is this what happens at other meetings. Is being grateful for alcoholism the final state of recovery that we are all aiming for?

I have a lot of feelings about this disease....but I just can NOT picture feeling GRATEFUL it exists in my life. And to be honest, alcoholism + al-anon does not make my life better than before alcoholism entered my life.

I'm sure I am showing my ignorance...but I'll stand up and say.....I just don't get it!

Are you grateful towards alcoholism?? If so, why?