View Single Post
Old 03-03-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
heartcore

I was also an alone drinker, and also drank wine. I justified those isolated evenings by saying that I interacted plenty during the day at my job, and needed my time alone to balance that out.

Like you, it was concerns about my health and the realization that if I continued this pattern, I wasn't going to make new friends. For many people, their hard drinking is associated with crowded pubs/bars and a sense of belonging. I've only been in bars to drink a handful of times in my life. I am an introvert, and just felt peaceful sitting on my back deck, drinking wine and smoking cigarettes, looking out toward the forest.

I just passed six months of my sobriety. I did go to AA. I have mixed feelings about it, but did find a women's meeting that I really enjoy, and I know I'll continue with. More importantly, being sober has helped me to approach friend making and companionship differently. I still feel that most of my social needs are filled with my job and my volunteer activities in my community, but I've made a few new friends (without using alcohol to connect with them) and also got myself a puppy. I also have a huge commitment to this website, and there are folks on here that I would indeed count as friends, even if I've never met them in person.

My life is mostly the same, but my evenings feel different sober. I take my dog for a long walk each night when I get home from work (an hour or more), prepare and eat a healthy meal, spend some time on SR, read or stretch or watch a movie. I quit smoking too. So, the activities aren't that different, and I'm still alone a lot of the time, but my brain is turned on instead of off. Alert and focused. Getting better sleep. Not feeling guilt and shame and fear about my health.

Its a big change and a small change at the same time.