Thread: Need opinions
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2005, 11:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
walkingtheline

I work in the mortgage industry and while I live in CA, my "job" is located in Texas. So I see the "high" of home prices here in Orange County, CA and have seen the homes in Orange County, TX and how cheap (by comparison) they are.

Houses cost whatever they cost. It's that simple. Some areas are just crummy. Some are at a premium because of their location. Others just ARE. Here even a small one bedroom condo costs near $400,000. I saw several homes in Texas the last time I was there. The "norm" there was a home with 3000 to 4000 square feet, HUGE lots, island kitchens, 4 bedrooms, mulitple baths ect...for 90,000 to 150,000. I'm always tempted to make the move.

Mobile homes are rarely good investments. That's just a fact. And a rental is just that--you're making someone else's house payment and they're receiving all the tax benefits. A rental simply isn't the same as your OWN home.

Have you looked into federal, state or county buyer assistance programs? They exist on a federal level for sure, in most states and many counties and cities. Unless you have a high income, you can often get help with your downpayment for a "stick" home either thru an outright grant, a dollar matching program, a silent second or for a no down payment loan. Yes, you'd have to jump thru numerous hoops. Yes, you'd need to be both compliant and diligent. But it's certainly possible. If your interested in investigating this, go to a search engine and enter "home buyer assistance" along with your state name...then try your county and perhaps then your city. You can learn a great deal. Don't qualify? Find a mortgage broker you can trust. Ask your friends for recomendations, maybe there's one who's also a member of your church...you get the idea. Someone with some experience under their belts can do many creative things if they get all the facts and can help you determine how much house you can afford and the best ways to finance it. They can walk you thru all the possibilities, stated or not, ARM vs fixed, interest only, there are lots of programs out there! You can also buy a new home and get some breaks and, believe it or not, I know it's possible to buy a "kit" home, and if you're good with tools and motivated (such as a log home package), build it yourself (no contractor) and still get a loan to both build the home and have a mortgage when you're finished! The posibilities are endless.

And you know, it's another reason you might want to become active in al-anon. Not only will you learn a great deal about this familiy illness and the best things for both you and your children, but because members come from all walks of life, you might find info there as well.

Think it over, do some homework and I'll bet you'll find a way. Good Luck!