View Single Post
Old 03-01-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JeffreyAK

We know from science that addiction is a brain disorder caused by drinking/using too much, too often, manifesting itself as changes in normal chemical production and distribution in the brain in response to the regular intake. We know this from white-coated scientists in the lab, who mostly are not addicts. We also know that some drugs, naltrexone for example, can reduce alcohol cravings, and that other drugs, butrenorphene for example, are helpful in managing opiate addiction. Again, developed by people who mostly are not addicts.

Is the knowledge helpful? To me, indirectly, yes, because it explains what we're up against, and explains many of the symptoms both of addiction and early abstinence. Are the drugs helpful? To some people, yes.

But if I wanted guidance on how to get through early recovery, I wouldn't talk to a medical doctor or a brain imaging scientist, I'd talk to lots of people and pick out what works for me. And those people will mostly be former addicts, even the professional counselors who work to help addicts get through to the light on the other side.