Thread: Day 1 :(
View Single Post
Old 02-28-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

Something that helped me, zenchaser, was learning how to sit. I'm not talking about proper posture or chair selection, but learning how to sit with my feelings, how to simply be with them, without getting blown away by them or sucked into the vortex.

The key for me was learning how to be aware of my feelings and emotions, but as somebody else who is watching me, from the outside looking in, or watching me on camera, something like that. Intead of the immediate emotional reaction - 'gaaagggh why don't you ever/why do you always.....', you get to observe your reaction first, before feeling the need to react.

Since you already know about this mindfulness idea from the Addictive Voice Recognition tool, you can very easily use the exact same tool in managing your emotions and stress level. Look for 'mindfulness anger control' or something like that, you will find lots of great information. The bonus is that it has a great tie in with AVRT.

Hang in, zenchaser. You chose to drink, and succeeded. Now it's time to succeed with the flip side, right? So much good is waiting for you, all you need to do is to say yes to it by staying sober.