View Single Post
Old 02-28-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
ladyscribbler

Originally Posted by pinkpeony View Post
I guess it is? I'm not sure.

It's his money from his working.

I'm not working and earning any money so considering our whole situation, I don't feel right asking for any.

Even though we both agree the marriage is done, and there is no going back, there is no hope for it, he's allowing me to stay here and he's financially supporting me in all ways....

I do get it all thrown back in my face though on his ranting mean drunk nights....
It is financial abuse. As long as you are married (on paper, the emotional stuff is separate, the law doesn't care about that) there is no "his money." It's considered a joint asset, no matter who is earning it. Denying you access to basic needs like food is also abuse.
Would you be comfortable making an appointment for a free consultation with an attorney? That is something you can do over the phone. It doesn't commit you to anything, but sometimes knowing your actual legal rights can help you to overcome your fears of the unknown.
You might be in a better position than you think. When I got divorced my ex was obligated to provide me with a reliable vehicle and financial support for our son, which was more than he did when we were married.
Just something to keep in mind. I know you're in a tough spot. Sending strength and support your way Pink. Hugs.