View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 09:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

Originally Posted by kkik5 View Post
Hello all. All advice and stories are very welcome, but since I am 25, I would especially appreciate input from the younger crowd. No discrimination, I'll explain my point.

No matter your addiction, it saps energy from you, makes you do stupid things, anger people etc. So I'm fairly sure most people who have woken up with a debilitating hangover have considered (even if in a fleeting manner) quitting drinking. Usually the promise is 'forever', sadly and this is my personal experience as well, often times it is not forever and relapse seems to lurk just around the corner. The hangover passes, the embarrassment goes away, the money replenishes and were good to go again, right? Essentially fueling the cycle over and over.

My thinking is that later in life, when you become a parent, are in a long time relationship and have responsibilities of a larger magnitude, the ability to look back is more visibly there and responsibility to 'hitch' your wagon to is more powerful.

This is the downfall of the younger crowd. Either college kids or just getting your first job, the reality of responsibilities has not fully hit you yet and thus the addict-brain can more easily convince you that 'what's three beers, right? I've been good, I deserve this. It's not going to be like last time'

The notion of a long life still ahead of you dilutes the severity of the danger from excessive drinking. If there is more than one drug involved, I guess that's just playing Russian roulette with more than one bullet, so quitting for good makes a stronger argument no matter the person's age.

This is why I would really appreciate your input as to what made the decision to quit your chosen item of addiction for good.

Thanks in advance, all tips and experiences welcome
Some of us sadly do not mature our way out of addiction tho.

I drank into my forties.

I didn't have parenthood to slow my roll, and any relationships I had, or jobs, were secondary to the booze.

I also became increasingly aware than I was not indestructible. I incurred many injuries....but I still drank...

I had accidents and embarrassments happen that would have given wiser men paused, but I continued on....

In my experience, addiction is not logical.

I can look back at things now with logic but then? not so much.

I was a willing partner in a game of denial and deceit with my addiction.

What eventually stopped me was the very real fear I could/would die. I sailed close to the sun once too often.

I stopped. And every day since then, I've given thanks for that

D