View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Stung

Phycologist is more along the lines of having drugs prescribed. My AH sees one for anxiety meds and he sees her like once every 6 months or less.

I use a counselor/LMFT (licensed marriage and family therapist) for myself and that's what AH uses for himself too. Both of ours specialize in addiction. I really liked the website of my first therapist and I liked her during my initial appointment with her, she was great to get me going but we stalled out after about a year. My new therapist specializes in addiction and codependency. Our marriage therapist was a RN that worked with a lot of addiction and then became a LMFT too. I wasn't thrilled with her style of therapy though, she wanted to do a lot of modeling with us and that doesn't really work well for me.

None of them accepted insurance so I had to go back through and submit claims to my insurance on my own. That seems to be the norm around here.

Unless you think you need to get started on a specific kind of therapy or treatment (like treating PTSD or behavioral therapy) or think medication would be necessary then I personally would look for a LMFT that has experience in addiction. Also, a LMFT can always refer you to a psychologist if you jointly felt like you could benefit from visiting one, and I personally feel that it's always better to have a referral.

Just my experience. Hope that helps a little bit.