View Single Post
Old 02-27-2015, 03:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Saskia

Petals, Gilmer said it so well. Wine is not a treat. It's poison for us. When you see a bottle or glass of wine or any other alcoholic drink, you might try picturing a skull and crossbones on it in your mind. As recovering alcoholics I think we naturally tend to focus on alcohol. If possible, it might help to see if you can shift your focus when you are around alcohol.

Last night at dinner I was with a drinking group (unexpected). There were 5 of us and 3 bottles of wine. I was the only one not drinking. One person got fairly tipsy. For about 2 minutes when they first poured the wine I sighed to myself, wishing I could have a glass but that thought very quickly passed when I briefly had an image of myself passed out in my apartment and going through treatment again. I happily clinked glasses with my glass of water :-)

Each time I handle a situation involving alcohol, I feel stronger. Clearly thinking about the consequences and especially picturing them seems to cement my will to stay sober. I know I need to always be mindful of that.