View Single Post
Old 02-26-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
bigsombrero

Fellow atheist here. Since you were asking your question to other atheists, I'll do my best to answer you.

The monotheistic Christian god has always been a bit too closely connected to AA meetings I've been a part of. Meetings often close with the Lord's Prayer, and many speakers credit their god for helping them, etc, etc. To me, praying and thanking a god is similar to throwing an imaginary tea party at a little plastic table with stuffed animals. Pretending something exists when it's clearly not there is just too childish for me to take seriously. To see this kind of behavior coming from grown adults makes me concerned for our species, but then again I suppose it is interesting in a scientific sense - our intense biological need to create such creatures is quite strong indeed.

That said, I did find some benefits in AA and they are well worth a look. I can't say that AA is responsible for my sobriety, but it was helpful when I was still adjusting my "sober training wheels". I'd recommend just tuning out when the talk turns to Zeus, Thor, or Yaweh and just stay focused on the positive stories of recovery. A higher power didn't make these people sober: they did it themselves. Nothing wrong with gleaning some insight from their wisdom in that regard. After you get a bit more steady on your feet, you can look for other methods and programs, or simply stick close to a website like I do here at SR. Finally, there are AAAA meetings (AA for Atheists & Agnostics) in some cities so you might want to check out google to see if there's something in your area.