Old 02-26-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Mountainmanbob

Let's not forget how darn hard it was to sober up and stay sober

The last time that I sobered up it was like no time before. Yes, I had sobered up more than a few times in my life. Guess that I took sobriety for granted, fooling myself into thinking after returning to the drink that I could stop yet again whenever I wished with it being no problem. That thought turned out to be a form of self deception to it's highest degree.

It has been well over 7 years since I have had a drink but, I wish to never forget how hard it was to get and stay sober this last time around. It seemed that once again I had gotten in trouble with many of the people around me. And to add to the mix I was also in trouble with the courts yet again.

On top of all of that even though not drinking I was in some kind of a deep fog. Oh-yes, once again I had crashed a vehicle into something and hit my head pretty hard. Plus, I had been mixing things with my booze that I think nearly killed me.

Anyway, for many months in my early sobriety I thought to myself, "will I ever return to normal again ?" It was scary, not drinking but, feeling so out of it. As if I had lost touch with the real world. Meeting with my AA sponsor each morning for a meeting and then over to his house for some Big Book study, as I was stuck in a deep daze for a long time.

The good news, God has restored me to sanity and the world looks so very clear to me today. I do not forget how very grateful that I am.

Here is the purpose of this thread.
Some may be having a very hard time sobering up.
These ones may see our struggles of the past and gain strength.
Others may not truly appreciate their sobriety today.
Let us remember back to what we had to go through so as to get where we are today.

Mountainman Bob