View Single Post
Old 02-26-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Joe Nerv

Originally Posted by beddy3484 View Post
I try my hardest to change the words they are saying in my head to at least represent some power outside myself (just maybe not God as they see it) because I want to believe there is something out there because I fully admit I am powerless over substances.
Whether the power is outside or inside of me never mattered. Power is invisible, and open to interpretation. I always felt it was just a matter of semantics, although I'm sure theorists and those philosophically inclined could argue that to the ends of the earth . And do.

I never felt I was the most powerful or intelligent entity in the universe. Not by a long-shot. I can't even grasp the concept of an infinite universe, it's beyond my comprehension. I believe there is a benevolent force of some undefinable nature keeping all that in order. It's my belief also that that same force turns a fertilized microscopic egg into a fully functioning human being. I believe it propels my heartbeat, my breath when I sleep, heals my wounds, fires my brain, and well... yeah, you get the picture. For simplicity sake I'm fine with calling that whole thing, that power, that energy, force, whatever... god. And I've become ok with the idea of praying to it, as I know of no better way to commune with it. What I've found is that it works. So I leave it at that.

I use the word god as others do now, speak in terms of miracles, blessings, and god as though I were speaking of a bearded man in the clouds - yet that is so far from what I actually believe. I don't believe in any human like being that gives a crap about whether or not I pick up a drink. I do believe in a very powerful healing force (as described above), that man has yet to clearly define, or even prove.

Not sure if that makes sense to anyone but me (it's early in the morning here ), but it absolutely works for me, and that's all I'm concerned about.