View Single Post
Old 02-25-2015, 12:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
NightNDay

I tried it. Did not help with cravings. However, I then went on to do my own "field testing" by drinking on it. There's a thing called The Sinclair Method where you take Naltrexone, wait an hour, have a drink and then supposedly the desire eventually goes away and you will moderate.

"The miracle has arrived!" I thought to myself.

So I tried it. At first, I was shocked because it actually seemed to be working a little bit. In the end, it did not work. I can't stress this enough. I got NO pleasure out of drinking -- not even the least little bit. In fact, I often felt nauseous and sick while drinking on Naltrexone.

Before long I was finding all kinds of excuses to return to my old patterns. I would go to work, for example, and forget to bring my Naltrexone with me. Then work would finish and I would immediately want a drink -- and who doesn't deserve a drink after a hard day's work? So I would either a.) take the Naltrexone and start drinking before an hour was up or b.) not take the Naltrexone at all. Cue blackout, hangover, the whole nightmare.

Then I decided the problem was that I needed to make sure I always had the Naltrexone on me. So I did that for a while. Didn't work either. The obsession would not go away, and the Naltrexone was, on some level, making it worse.

I was thinking about drinking all day long, thinking about when I could take my Naltrexone, how long I had to wait, etc. It sounds really stupid, but that one hour wait after taking Naltrexone came to feel like a lifetime. So I was constantly taking the Naltrexone "just in case" I might want to take a drink. I wanted to make sure I had it in my system in plenty of time. However, the flip side of this was that if you take Naltrexone and then wait too long (say, four or five hours) then you've actually killed the effects. At that point, the dose will not work as well it would have if you'd started drinking immediately at that one hour mark.

Basically, it became this logistical nightmare of obsessing over when to take the pills, when to drink, and so on. Add in the fact that the Naltrexone made me not enjoy alcohol, and before long I was doing the same BS I've always done: making excuses to get around the truth. "Do I really need to take the Naltrexone today? Maybe I can just skip it this one time and drink and have fun. I'll take it next time I drink, for sure."

I would personally advise against this. I would strongly advise against it, to be honest.

I don't know if anyone reading this thread is thinking about Naltrexone for The Sinclair Method (a.k.a. in an attempt to moderate your drinking with Naltrexone) or if you are looking at it to stop drinking altogether.

But if it's the former, then just DON'T.

Let me put it this way: Let's say there was a pill you could take that would make sex not enjoyable. Like, not enjoyable at all. Sure, you might be able to force yourself to take that pill for a little while, but at some point you'd start getting mad and resentful that this pill was robbing you of the physical pleasure you KNOW exists -- the physical pleasure that your mind & body clearly knows should be there, but isn't experiencing because you've blocked it with a pill.

And you'd want that pleasure back.