Old 02-23-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
PurpleKnight

How did I get here? I guess you are correct in the sense that there is a possibility that I could have always been destined to be here, I googled because I was desperate, I was desperate because my life was spiralling out of control, I was afraid of where alcohol was leading me and how much of a grasp it had created over my life.

But I then must digress from your theory, why did I drink? I believe I was addicted to alcohol? Why was I addicted to alcohol? Sometimes that can get lost sight of by those new to recovery!! Through habit/routine I had travelled too far down the rabbit hole to come back to moderate drinking, my makeup was changed forever, but what made me go too far?

That leads us to the mystery of the causes of alcoholism - genetics, childhood, environmental factors, early relationship with alcohol, life events, all of these or none of these could be the cause.

The reality is though some in this world can moderately drink and others can’t, for whatever reason, if it could be proven that my path in life could not have been diverted away from becoming an alcoholic by any variable, then I agree, and you would be correct, SR was always going to be in my future.

But what if the equation has too many variables that can influence the outcome? and there was an element of probability and chance in the outcome? I don’t know the answer, and no one will ever know, but if an element of chance was involved then SR was not destined to be a part of my life from the beginning.

The choice itself may not have been mine to make I guess, it was the situation I found myself in, but that situation was not guaranteed to exist, it may or may not have happened, based on the reasons that lead me to have an addiction!!

I guess that's where theory becomes speculation!!