Old 02-23-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
PurpleKnight

Soo after reading all of that, it is almost midnight here, so that was a long read!!

I do understand the argument that the perception of free will could be an illusion, I have no idea whether that is true or not biologically, but considering most of my day is conducted on auto pilot there may be something to that, and then when I was drinking it was the same, good old auto pilot would take hold every evening as I would stop buy the liquor store, was I actively making a decision or simply being the prisoner of habit/routine?

Anyways, I have no idea on the answer to how the realisation, if it were to be true, links into recovery, unless it's linked into the mantra that I repeat over and over here on SR, I had to break that habit/auto pilot, I needed something outside of myself to challenge that pre determined mind frame of drinking I seemed to have every evening, a second opinion on things, short circuit my own thought processes!!

I would challenge though the idea that some people don't know why they can't stop, I think deep down I always knew, alcohol had become a problem and I had been caught up in an addiction that was starting to progress, the warning lights were flashing brightly, and I chose to ignore it for a long time.

Developing new habits/routines, almost forcing the issue away from my old auto pilot was the key to everything, I didn't use a higher power etc, it was making new decisions to create Sobriety, where did that strength come from? what do I call that? I've no idea, but that for everyone to some degree is what it all comes down to, doing something different, making Sobriety happen through action.

Very thought provoking post though nonetheless!! Welcome to SR!!