Thread: Losing friends
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2015, 07:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Exegesis

Losing friends

Hey, so I'm 54 days. I've got a question about old friends. I'm not in AA and am just figuring out how to stay sober myself. I am a standup comic so I go to bars literally every night and can hang out till 2 am with people drinking and I don't really get cravings. I think I've finally just had enough. So the advice I've heard about not being able to hang out with your old drinking friends I've kind of just dismissed. But the thing is I'm finding I am having to get rid of all my friends for different reasons.

I'm starting to find that all of my friends are kind of boring people. Now that I don't drink I've become very goal focused. I work out and eat right, I'm getting more stage time. I'm working on movies. And all my friends from when I was still drinking all have lives that are kind of stagnant. They all have complicated relationships with alcohol cause my alcoholism was so bad that only other problem drinkers could really be friends with me. My alcoholism was always the worst and all my friends were very good friends throughout my drinking, but now that I'm doing better I just can't relate to them as well and some of them have almost seemed to resent me for doing better.

I'm really not judgmental and recognize that many people can drink a reasonable amount and not have alcohol negatively affect their lives, but I also feel like I'm very sensitive to peoples troubles with alcohol and that a lot of people aren't ready to admit they have a problem when they clearly do.

I don't know if I really have a question. I guess I'm just wondering if other people can relate. I'm losing friends fast and just want to make sure it's not because I've become judgmental or condescending which some of them have accused me of.