Old 02-22-2015, 07:51 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
honeypig

Originally Posted by maia1234 View Post
Pick up some of the books and read the material.
Yes, there is some truly great Alanon literature, isn't there? "Opening Our Hearts, Transforming Our Losses" is a favorite of mine, as well as the good old workhorses of "How Alanon Works" and "Paths to Recovery."

I will never forget my first meeting--having flown out of the house, desperate and knowing I couldn't handle things alone, I landed at a Beginner's Meeting on a Sunday evening. Some kind soul had donated several books some time ago, and each meeting for several weeks, the members at this meeting had drawn straws for a book while the supply held out. Near the end of the meeting, after I did the requisite crying-thru-the-entire-meeting thing, we drew straws. Another woman won the draw, but handed me her book, saying "You look like you need this worse than I do." And of course that prompted a fresh attack of tears...but when I got home, I started reading that book and I felt a sense of peace descend over me for the first time in a very long time. I slept well that night.

Things look so much different since that night not quite 2 years ago. I am, like they say, "a grateful member of Alanon."