Old 02-22-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
ScottFromWI
Forum Leader

Welcome back Pinot, glad you are giving sobriety another go. Congrats on your 8 months, to me that's pretty conclusive evidence that you can do this if you want to.

I had some long stretches and returned to drinking myself. I think drifting away from support was one of the reasons, not sure if that is the case for you too but something you should ask yourself.

In the grand scheme though, I kept returning to alcohol because I always kept the door open that I could someday be a "normal" drinker or that by a long enough sober stretch I would get "better". That's where accepting my fate helped immensely. I admitted to myself that I will NEVER be able to drink without negative consequences. Not on 50 days, 50 weeks or 50 years.

How one goes about that varies...some join a group like AA and publicly proclaim it. Some use self paced methods like AVRT and recognize their addiction internally. Some use their faith. There are many ways....but the commonality of all is the full acceptance of the addiction and a plan to live with it. I hope you can find that peace.