View Single Post
Old 02-17-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ArcticSA

Went to an addiction counselor

I finally went. Was there for an hour an a half and poured out my life story of alcohol and drugs. Was completely honest, told her my current drinking habits.
She asked "what do you want to get from today, why are you here?"
I said "I want you to tell me if you think I'm an alcoholic"
She looked over her chart at my answers to her questions "Do you shake in the morning" no "Do you drink in the morning?" no "Are you preoccupied with thoughts of drinking?" yes etc. etc.
And she said "You are between alcohol abuse and alcohol dependence, not quite there, but close, I will tell you, it doesn't get better, if you continue drinking like this, you're tolerance is gonna get higher, and you're gonna have bad jo-jo in your life"
She told me to see if I could cut back and come back in a month, if I wasn't able to cut back, we would go from there.
? I don't what I thought of that counselor. Doesn't seem like what you'd hear from a counselor.
Surely didn't inspire me to quit cold turkey. I came out thinking, hmmm, I guess I'm not in such bad shape.
So now that's what I'm trying, trying to cut back. To one or two days a week. Last drink was on Sunday and now I will go until Saturday.
I feel pretty sad and resentful. Like I'm being punished, I know I shouldn't feel that way, I am so confused.
I think that that meeting was pretty unsuccessful.