View Single Post
Old 02-13-2015, 02:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lucyloo14

Smile Day 14 and proud!

Hi everyone
Well I got to day 14! Having initially set myself a 4 week goal to 'get my drinking under control'. I had no idea what laid ahead, people told me moderation would not work after the 4 weeks and it was better to accept that total abstinence was the only way - how disappointing I thought, never again taste the amber nectar?? how could I commit to that?? Well having got through these 2 weeks (the longest spell of no alcohol in 30 years!) I am a new woman... I have not missed the way I used to feel every morning at all. I feel alive and strangely have a feeling of release and excitement. I have choices that I can make to really change the way I live my life and boy am I going to grab this opportunity.

I am ashamed at what I have put my family through, I was selfish and self obsessed and totally ran my life around finishing work and opening that first bottle of New Zealand White wine. I had no thought for anyone else, if my husband was away it still did not stop my drinking... what if something had happened in the night my little one would not have been able to wake me from my drunken stupor! I certainly could not drive if i had to get him to hospital in an emergency... but did I even stop to care? no I did not it was all about me having some 'me time' to relax with my best buddy (wine).

Well now I am back in the sensible seat and I am determined not to go down that route again. I love all the time I now have and have joined a gym and bought a keep fit DVD that I get up 30 minutes early to complete before work - it's just the start! (that would never have happened before). I am truly grateful to have gotten another chance at life hurrah!!

My family are so proud of me and everything is so much nicer and calmer. If I can do this others can, be strong and I wish everyone a sober and fun weekend xxx