Thread: Question?
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 11:26 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Gal220

Originally Posted by zenchaser View Post
Well that answers my original question. The secular groups are forced to keep the literature with all the God references. God curing me of drinking too much is never going to work for me and I do believe in some kind of higher power but I find it more in nature and the mysteries of the universe. I don't think it has a thing to do with my alcoholism. But different strokes for different folks.
As in anything, you will always find people who disagree with you or try to push their beliefs on you. But that doesn't have to stop you from some face to face camaraderie if that will help you or make you feel like you're not alone in the struggle. I know people whose "higher power" is the universe. The steps aren't about God curing my drinking. They're really just about admitting that I'm doing something that's harming me, which is crazy, and that I am not the center of the universe: that I can't control everything (that whether there is a god or not, it's definitely not me). The steps really just got me out of myself. I learned to look at my faults, to question my motives, to ask for help, to be willing to admit when I'm wrong, to change to become a better person, and to help others. If I do these things, I just might learn to love myself enough to stay sober and be happy.