View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 01:07 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
ajarlson

My story is very different, my mother was an alcoholic by the time she was a teenager. She got pregnant at 17 and tells me if abortion was legal back then I wouldn't be here now. She also laughs about how much she drank while she was pregnant and yet I "seem fine". She left me with grandparents when I was 3 and dragged me away from them when was 14 to clean her house and babysit her new baby (she worked at night). She was sober for 10 years while she raised her new family but Christmas pictures did not include me - it was her, my stepdad, his son and their son. She told me I better get a scholarship to college because she wasn't going to pay for it but paid in full for the half brother including an apartment and a car. She was mean to my children but when the half brother got married she doted on his and bought expensive presents for his in-laws and kids. When my 14 year old (youngest) asked her why she never bought us nice Christmas presents she said "well maybe if you guys bought me nice stuff I would". She is now 69 and has been wanting me to give up my life and take care of her for the past 5 years. She never beat me physically, but there is so much more I didn't mention that though I know there are some good spots interspersed in there, they are completely overshadowed. I wanted a mother for so long that I put up with more than anyone should have but at this point I'm done. I'm amazed at people that have clear boundaries and can enforce them pretty quickly and cleanly, kudos to you. Addiction is a beast and I no longer want it in my life.