Old 02-10-2015, 11:48 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
heartcore

I guess I'd have to vote "yes" simply because I know it is the better life for me...

Am I happier on a day to day basis? Depends on the day.

I feel better about myself. I am not "having as much fun." I am trying to be patient with that and creative and curious...

I quit drinking because I had medical issues which require that I not drink. I still struggled to quit, because I like it. I was not a super-hard drinker, and so didn't have a ton of alcoholic repercussions - except for (invisible and unfelt) damage to my body.

I'm still learning to connect with others without alcohol. I do just fine in work connections (because that part of me has always been sober), and am repairing family relationships that had been damaged. But the friend thing...I have friends in recovery at meetings, and in some ways we share quite openly (which implies intimacy), but we don't just hang out and have "fun." I've tried attending "fun" AA events (bowling, bonfires), and they are different than meetings, more informal, and I enjoy the activity and the food, but it isn't fun-fun the way hanging out with my good friends while drinking was. I feel like I've had to distance myself from my friends who drink - who were not alcoholics (athletes and outdoorsy all), and I feel this as a powerful loss.

So. The quality of my life in terms of happiness is down. The quality of my life in terms of health, mental health, productiveness, and spiritual focus is increased. There was no "sort of - half and half" response on the survey, so I just didn't vote at all...