View Single Post
Old 02-08-2015, 01:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
biminiblue

I think what is more to the point being expressed is that "problems" are not usually as helpful to people as how we put a positive spin on problems.

Let's face it - someone who is in relatively good health and who has a roof over their head and regular meals really doesn't have problems. All the stuff we make up in order to keep ourselves wrapped in drama, misery, despair and negative thoughts is just that. Made up.

If the mindset is looking at things as problems rather than opportunities, maybe therapy or medication would help. I don't think AA should be a "woe is me" ventfest. Honestly, that is one of the big things that pushed me away from AA. Too much depression and sadness can be contagious. I would go in to meetings feeling really good and leave meetings feeling awful. ANGTFT.

I can't afford to give those negative thoughts a place to grow. There's something in the BB that says something to the effect that, "We cannot afford the grouch or the brainstorm," and then something about it being dangerous to an alcoholic. It's dangerous to everyone: alcoholic/drug addicts just have a ready means to kill themselves because of it.

In the Bible one way it is stated is:

"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things."

It is a mindset. We always have the choice to look at any situation in a way that will foster our growth and health. Things that are undoubtedly uncomfortable still usually have a solution.