View Single Post
Old 02-07-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
digdug

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
I was out to dinner last night too for my birthday. My gf doesn't drink, but we went to this nice byob place where every other table had multiple bottles of wine in fancy ice buckets. When I'm out, I'm usually acutely aware of what other people are drinking around me. After almost 2 years sober, that hasn't gone away yet. But the urge to have one myself? Doesn't happen anymore. I try to stay in the moment. I enjoy the company I'm with. The smell, taste and textures of the food. The good conversation. Wine isn't going to make any of this stuff better. Maybe it does for normal drinkers, but not for me. There's a level of acceptance that goes along with this. By a year sober, you've probably accepted that you can't drink like normal people. The next step is to accept that you can have just as much fun as everyone else without that glass of wine. This level of acceptance is so freeing and peaceful. It quiets the voice in social situations.

Definitely share what you're feeling at group level. Others will benefit from your ESH in dealing with these thoughts without drinking.