View Single Post
Old 05-06-2005, 07:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Don W

I'm not sure what the cause is. However, I believe it is something about the chemical balance. Towards the end of my drinking my tolarence go real low. I'd start getting buzed on just a few beers, where it used to take cases. The black out. They started as grey outs. Not being able to remember which road or bus route I took home. I'd have to rush back to the bar the next day. I couldn't remember if I payed my tab. I got so I could only pay cash. Then I'd walk out and leave large sums on the bar. I was told one time I bought a beer with $100 dollar bill, drank it and without a word left.
However, the black out got worse and more often. On a good night I'd come out in a strange area. On a bad night I'd come out laying in the ER at a hospital. Sometimes the one I worked at. Then there were the spit heads. I'd come out at the bottom of some stairs. There are signs that indicate liver damage. Many cases it is reversable to a point. One thing that should jump out is around the nose and face. There will be broken blood vessels. Also, the nose will start to get out of shape. The best way is to see a doctor. A simple blood test will indicate the damage and the extent. I would suggest you take care of yourself. Maybe Alanon could help you. The bottom line is you can't make him, scare him or talk him into seeking help. However, by learning how to protect yourself might wake him up. We will used enablers like you without any guilt in order to drink. We learn your weakness and use it against you. It might be difficult but, there are some hard decisions to make. Don W