View Single Post
Old 02-03-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
greeteachday
Administrator

There are things I agree with and things I don't agree with in the article, but I find it interesting and I am very glad that it is out there. The more attention there is to the fact that as a society we do a lousy job of addressing an epidemic and we would rather spend money on many things than to save our children, the better in my view. I personally don't believe that an IOP or a detox is the fix for heroin addiction and find it horrible that insurance companies start with that level of care and only go higher if the person relapses, OD's and doesn't die. I also don't believe a child who isn't even old enough to vote yet can figure things out in 30 days and if they leave and relapse and die, oh well, they didn't want it, so they made a choice. These drugs alter the brain - we need to take it seriously and work to have more options available and less social stigma.

I'm not going to argue whose way works - shouldn't the goal be to have as many options as possible so the most can benefit? CO's point about costs are valid. I wish we would focus efforts not on which method should rule, but on making diverse treatment options available and accessible.