View Single Post
Old 02-03-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
FireSprite

Originally Posted by FeelingGreat View Post
HMA, that's a great experiment for anyone to try. You don't have to be an alcoholic to benefit from it, and if alcohol isn't a big thing in your life you might want to keep going, or just leave open the option to say toast someone with champagne now and then, or have a beer on a hot day.

Ideally that's how alcohol should be treated but some of us just can't stop at 1 or 2.
I agree! When RAH quit drinking, I had been doing my fair share of drinking right alongside him. I spent a few months questioning whether I was missing the signs of addiction in myself so I gave it up for a while.

I discovered that my addiction tendencies are food-based (sugar, binging, etc.) which is something I had sort of known already, but saw much more clearly based on all that I learned about being an ACoA & my own food history. This has become a major part of my recovery over the last year, now that I feel like I have my Recovery Legs under me & I'm well past the Early Recovery stages.

I still love getting together with my friends for a few drinks at the beach or a Girls Night but I also go many weeks/months without thinking about alcohol much at all. Good Luck!