Old 02-02-2015, 04:49 PM
  # 470 (permalink)  
RobbyRobot
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post

On my last day of rehab the group stands around in a big circle - about 80 inmates/clients. The head honcho tells everyone to look to their left and right and around the room. Then they proceed to inform us that only 3% of us are going to remain sober when we leave there. How effin fantastic is that? They already put it in the minds of the 'clients' that they don't stand a chance. It's no wonder so many people relapse coming from the 12 thing rehab program, being told they have a snowball's chance in Iraq to succeed.
And if they don't go to so many in so many days and follow the program...
They are already setup for failure.

sorry, I got a little off track...
As some here already know, following being a client myself, I worked in a residential rehab early in my career as a counselor for street level addicts for several years, and eventually to a level of program director (back in the '80's). I can confirm such threats were commonly given to clients from many such same establishments. I myself didn't resort to such base tactics as threats, but nonetheless, its also true not everybody recovers. It is useless by way of using potential consequences to scare a client into recovery. In fact, my opinion is often enough such tactics just make recovery even more challenging. Bullying comes to mind. Unfortunately, certain establishments did more harm than anything else. In fact, my own experiences working in a rehab ended with my refusal to follow the whacked status quo of certain of my colleagues which effectively eventually ended my career. I've never regretted my refusal to toe-the-line even though it eventually caused me extensive consequences I made the right choice.

I respect your experiences LBrain.