Old 02-02-2015, 02:07 PM
  # 466 (permalink)  
LBrain

Originally Posted by brynn View Post
Robbyrobot...i like a lot of what you've said and it gives me a little different perspective, thanks. I'm curious, when you say that alcoholism is an illness are you saying it's a mental illness or physical illness or both?
Unfortunately, it's both. I don't know how RR will answer this tho...

It has been proven to affect the brain in the physical sense which in turn affects the psychology of the person involved =====>>>> BOTH

The point I was trying to make for myself, is that it just does not matter how or why. I just can't drink no matter what, ever again. This I know.

I believe what some are suggesting is that because it 'IS' considered an illness, some will use that as an excuse to go back to drinking OR moreover will be destined or predetermined to drink again, relapse or whatever you wish to call it. The, "It's not my fault, I have a disease." excuse.

On my last day of rehab the group stands around in a big circle - about 80 inmates/clients. The head honcho tells everyone to look to their left and right and around the room. Then they proceed to inform us that only 3% of us are going to remain sober when we leave there. How effin fantastic is that? They already put it in the minds of the 'clients' that they don't stand a chance. It's no wonder so many people relapse coming from the 12 thing rehab program, being told they have a snowball's chance in Iraq to succeed.
And if they don't go to so many in so many days and follow the program...
They are already setup for failure.

sorry, I got a little off track...