View Single Post
Old 02-02-2015, 12:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
SDH73

A little input, please

I was going to post this on someone else's thread but I didn't want to hi-jack it with my own issues.

I've been alone for a pretty long time. No family, friends are married or engaged and have their own lives to live so I don't get to hang out with them much. And when I do I'm always the 3rd wheel. Had some close calls with romantically minded women over the last few years, but I always nipped it in the bud because I didn't want to drag them into my booze-soaked life, and also didn't want to clear any time in my drinking schedule to make room for them. So here I am, a pretty lonely guy.

Weeeeell...there's a new girl at work. We connected right off the bat like we've known each other for years. She's cute and funny and a bit of a goof. I am absolutely crushing on her! And I get the impression that the feeling is mutual.

I know that ideally I should have much more sober time under my belt before getting involved romantically (I'm in my 3rd week), but she won't be single for long. If not me, then some other dude is going to snatch her up and then I'll get to work with her every day and probably hear about all the fun stuff that she and her bf did over the weekend.

I can imagine the comments now. "Bad idea, SDH."

Is there any chance that this could be a good thing in early sobriety? Maybe some respite from the loneliness I've been dealing with for so long?

As I said, there have been other interested women over the years, but this is different. It's not just that there's a physical attraction there, we have fun together at work. Yes, we have FUN at WORK together. We just fit.

Anyway, neither of us has really "made a move" at the other, but every day we're together the flirting seems to edge a little closer to genuine affection.

FWIW, I'm using AVRT, not AA. Don't know if that changes anything.

Am I f****d? Is this a "no win" situation?