Old 02-02-2015, 11:39 AM
  # 459 (permalink)  
brynn
...holds the key

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post

I don't drink anymore because I was an alcoholic and I would surely be one again if I started drinking again. Does that mean I am not an alcoholic now?

I don't really care. The labels don't matter to me. Just wondering what people for whom the label matters call that condition that made the rational decision to not drink the right choice for them.
This is what stumped me in the discussion that started this whole thing for me.

There is a reason I chose to quit drinking and that reason is based on past experience. It's putting knowledge into action...wisdom.
If we go back to what freshstart said about the definition of an alcoholic then no, I am not drinking therefore I am not an alcoholic. The problem with trying to define ourselves as alcoholics( or addicts) in the future is that it tickles our AV because we are making assumptions that IF we drink again THEN...(fill in the blank).
I don't need to have a label for myself for some non-existent future event. I don't even have to label myself in the here and now. I only have to tell my AV that 'I don't drink' when it rears it's ugly head.

Someone brought up the 'disease' concept. I only know that I personally reject that idea. I rejected that idea long before I ever heard of AVRT. There are lots of reasons I reject it, but one of the main reasons is that it implies I'm a 'victim' of some kind! I'm not a victim....I'm an addict! It implies I had no choice but to pick up a bottle and pour the contents down my throat. In my opinion, that's dangerous territory to tread upon. Maybe someone who knows more about the subject can answer the question.