Old 02-02-2015, 09:10 AM
  # 454 (permalink)  
LBrain

I know someone who accidentally shot someone with a gun. They never picked up another gun.
Does he need to explain why he doesn't use guns? Is he an ex-shooter?
I know it's a reach. But there are many examples of people not doing things they used to do for any number of reasons. But the stigma attached to the "alcoholic" continues long after alcohol is no longer part of the equation.

So, there must be something to it. How 'we' label ourselves is our own way of dealing with the issue and a personal matter going forward. Whatever works for me to avoid the potential effects of ingesting alcohol - a poison to my thinking - is what I must do. If it involves some hocus pocus ceremony or mantra of sorts, it doesn't matter. Whatever 'I' need to do to put myself in a state of mind that prevents me from drinking is what 'I' must do. If I choose to put a label on myself as a reminder, hurray for me.
If I wish to be a million miles away from such labels, it's my choice.

I don't care about the science behind addiction or the debate on whether or not it's a disease. I don't care if I had some underlying issues that I used alcohol as a coping mechanism. I really don't. All I know is that because I drank a lot, my life was forever changed by it. And I don't want there to ever be another chance for it to happen again. Bottom line right there.

Not drinking is the ONLY cure for me in preventing alcoholism.
Whatever issues I have besides that are dealt with in other ways. But if I drink, I may not be able to address 'other' personal issues.

For me, I just don't drink anymore. Gave it up for health reasons - same as giving up nicotine. After a year or two, no-one who knows me will question why I don't drink. And because 'we' are so self-conscious about it, 'we' worry about it. In the end, nobody else really cares that you don't drink. Some are envious of the fact that I don't drink - amazing but true.