Old 02-01-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Soberintexas007

Originally Posted by auroraxborealis View Post
I used to get heated when my dad would open my mail. I was off at college, and he would open some of my credit card bills. I pitched a fit, and he did stop, but not before "threatening" that if I didn't want my mail opened, I could get my own PO box. I use quotes because although my parents rarely resort to these threats, they are all in vain. Today, he won't even open something upon request. Full disclosure, I was in college, going to school full-time and not working, so I was racking up debt that I didn't want him to know about.

Sounds like your husband had been stewing over some of the aspects of his life that are not under his control. Liquid courage let that come out. After having a chance to sober up some, he "forgot" why it was such a big deal. Or maybe he realized that he stands no chance, because you decided that's the way the cookie crumbles. Sounds like it it's easier for him to back down than challenge you.

He may lack the communication skills needed to explain to you (while sober) how your controlling his life is bothering him. He may use the state of mind of drinking as an opportunity to express those--again, "liquid courage."
This is the last post I will respond about the mail. My husband explicitly told me to open up his mail and take care of it. I asked him today if he wants me to give him his mail for now on. He said, "No, I already work too much and have too much to deal with."