View Single Post
Old 01-29-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
freshstart57
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post
I'm not saying what I'm doing tomorrow. I'm just saying I'm not drinking today. This way I don't feel any pressure. Who knows what tomorrow will bring but right now I think I'll pass on that first drink.
Ken, when you look into AVRT, you will see that any thought of drinking again, or doubt in one's ability to quit drinking, is nothing more than the urge to drink, refusing to give up. Yep, the AV.

With a life threatening behavior that has reached a critical stage, it might seem only reasonable to stop doing it. Period. Not for a little while or a month or a day, but permanently. Making that commitment to quit drinking for only a short period leaves the possibility open for future drinking, it leaves the question of quitting unanswered. Like the Carey character in Dumb and Dumber, 'So you're saying there's a chance? YEAH!!!'.

This is what AVRT advocates and facilitates - permanent abstinence from alcohol.

A foundation of AVRT is the knowledge that we each of us already have what we need to quit. The thought that meetings would be required is AV.