View Single Post
Old 01-29-2015, 05:56 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Ken33xx

Originally Posted by walkbeformakrun View Post
I've found the writings about AVRT to resonate well with me. The only higher power that I recognize is Antabuse, lol. (I stole that idea.)

Humor aside, I do have an issue with AVRT. I'm down with everything about AVRT except the phrase, "And I will never change my mind."

I first heard about AVRT in July of 2014. It helped me stay 100% alcohol free until sometime in October. Then I decided to allow myself a drink on a special occasion. Gradually, very gradually, I got back to drinking every day.

I'm back on Antabuse and I've been 100% alcohol free now for almost two weeks. I feel great and want to continue this way the rest of my life. So what do I tell myself, "I will never change my mind, again?" Or, "I hope I never change my mind?"

I just feel too weak to say I will never change my mind. I know I might.
I can related to that a lot.

When I stopped drinking I had no credibility with myself.

However, a part of the AA philosophy I instinctively got was the "one day at a time" approach. I could buy that. I'm not saying what I'm doing tomorrow. I'm just saying I'm not drinking today. This way I don't feel any pressure. Who knows what tomorrow will bring but right now I think I'll pass on that first drink.

Although I'm a member of AA I enjoy reading about how AVRT works and wouldn't mind attending a meeting after I get back to the States.