Old 01-29-2015, 02:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
CelticZebra

Originally Posted by marce View Post
well, I believe my problem is not wth alcohol but drugs, im not asking If I can get hammered instead of high, I dont like to get drunk, and since my problem isnt going out, drinking a beer and ending up somehow in a motel with a couple of grams of coke and 5 hookers hanging on the rooftop just by accident (this Ive done it quite a few times n the past years, but neither time was by "mistake" well, everytime I went out I told to my self that this time I wasnt going to do it, I would just take a couple of pills have a good time and go to sleep when I come down... but everytime I did end up in the same way, deep inside I know that when my mouth feels my DOC, my brain wont stop till I end up in my favortie place, doing my favorite things... this has never happened to me in the past I dont know, ever may be, only by drinking (I DO NOT WANT TO SOUND ARROGANT, I am by no way meaning that I wont in the future) I DO however understand that this may seems be like a party fllback plan, and of course my mind is thinking, well, I can quit drugs, but it would be nice to still have a taste of normal life (normal for non addicts).. Which is why I am asking, I havent read the whole book, im on page 31 as now, so Im asking the most experience people in this subject if,because all I know is what Ive been tol in NA, where they tell you that you cannot drink even in a social way because it will lead you to drugs (which I can totlly understand, since it will to most addicts) this program allows you to identify the problem and isolated...
It sounds very risky to me. I think the point about wanting a taste of normal life (normal for non-addicts) is what kept me on the merry-go-round of addiction for so long.
IMO The brain of an addict/alcoholic changes enough to keep us addicted to our DOC and therefore will be drawn (like a magnet -weak or strong) to other addictive substances, the changes that take place in the brain aren't fully understood but it takes a long time to re-educate yourself into understanding that, by the addictive nature that we now have, due to abuse of a substance, doesn't shrink instantaneously, and requires a good length of time being 'reprogrammed'
AVRT appears to help with that re-programming of the brain in a simple way but each individual will require their own coping skills, life skills and change their lives, to find those natural highs without chemical dependence
If I'd have understood this back then then I wouldn't need to understand it now.
I hope you understand what I'm saying (sometimes wonder if I do?!)
Congrats of stopping using & read the book, I'm sure your answer will be made clear in time

Driving my wagon of hope through beautiful views on my road to myself