View Single Post
Old 01-28-2015, 10:01 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  
Fluffer
Into the Void

Originally Posted by Applekat View Post

My kids are younger than some of yours but I've done my share of reading some of the books written by parents, moms especially, who have gone through recovery. Those, and other recovery-related accounts, have been very helpful to me. I just wanted to put that out there. I know we are supposed to need to "do this" for ourselves....but dang it - my precious babies are a big, big motivator for me. I worry about myself, I worry about me being around and healthy later on, and then I worry probably even more about them growing to be addicts themselves. The best thing I can do right now is take care of me, and let them see healthier lifestyle choices in the process.
I hear that, Apple. I'm pretty worried my kids will have a genetic predisposition given our personal and family histories. I was pretty much a mess from day one when I started drinking so I know it was largely genetic. But thank goodness my kids have never seen us wasted and we have stopped now before they are old enough to pick up on the fact that papa has had 7-8 beers at the BBQ or poolside. I don't want them growing up thinking that's normal and I definitely don't want them to have to go through some of the stuff that I did.