Old 01-27-2015, 06:43 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  
Hawkeye13

Originally Posted by Ken33xx View Post
Fun in sobriety? Humm...well, I got sober at the age of 35 and my 20's were gone.

When I got sober I wasn't looking for fun (I already was in a relationship) as much as I was a way to earn a decent living. I was broke, living in a flop house and going nowhere. The only good thing I had was a girlfriend who was on the verge of leaving me.

In sobriety I've done everything I talked about doing when I was drinking.

Granted not much panned out but it wasn't for a lack of trying. And although I'm still working hard for a living there's been midlife crisis for me.
Well, I'm married nearly twenty years, and I was a "high bottom drunk" in that I managed to keep an excellent job and no "public" displays, so I guess by "fun" I mean more "joy" in the daily routine and just in being fully conscious.

I have many good things going for me, for example, I have a beautiful farm and a house my husband and I were / are building which got stalled during my "caregiving" years with my alcoholic mother and perhaps that is part of the problem. I need to finish the things I've started and get a plan for the next however many sober years. Maybe it is a midlife crisis as well and I should simply focus on gratitude.

I don't know. It's kind of like being in a perpetual crappy ennui state, but not as aesthetically meaningful as you read about.

I think we all start where we are, and it is fantastic you have found your sobriety, have a terrific girlfriend, and are digging yourself out of the financial problems drinking so often brings.
It sounds like your elevator is truly going up