Old 01-26-2015, 07:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
VTworkaholic

New approach. New life. New struggles. New success.

I never, in my wildest dreams, thought I would find myself in the position I am. I have a lot to be proud of, more to be excited about, and achievements to celebrate.

I have a job I've aimed for -- which I admittedly work to hard at. I am on my second marriage, and never happier. We have our first child due any day now.

My job includes a lot of late night meetings. Dinners which include alcohol. Meet and greets with vendors all begging for my business. The temptations are endless.

I'm a heavy drinker. It wasn't until my father unexpectedly passes at the age of 52 last month that I realized I need the bottle. I need my scotch.

I drank until I stumbled into bed. I start at the bars with friends then finish strong at home. A bottle of 15 year Glennfidich could be gone in one sitting. It's how I rolled -- and as my tolerance grew, my consumption increased.

Two weeks ago, my wife laid it down on me hard. I'm proud of her.

Despite my resume and all I believe I accomplished (MBA, high level job...) -- I was unreliable in her eyes. I didn't care about my family. I wanted to choose career over my soon-to-be-born son George.

It was a much needed gut check. A startling realization I was giving excuse after excuse as to why I needed to drink. Work. Career. Stress. Death of my father.

I'm headed into my ninth day without a drink. Today, it has been hard. Very hard. We went by my watering hole twice. I walked passed a liquor store saying "just one nip" to get my through the day.

So here I am... Wide open for feedback.