View Single Post
Old 05-04-2005, 08:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
progress

I actually went to two meetings yesterday. Quite frankly, the second one largely sucked, but at least I walked away with the simple reminder that "Alcoholism kills." Duh. LOL! But to be very honest, most of the people who shared had 10, 21, 22 years in the program, but they sounded crazier than I am right now! And, to paraphrase one of the slogans, I didn't want what they had. And geez, it seemed a requirement that every person's sharing had to include numerous utterances of f***, f***ing, s**t, and g*****n. It's not like I don't ever say these words, but still. I guess I need to keep shopping around for a meeting that works for me.

On the other hand, I didn't drink yesterday either. And I'm not in a "honeymoon" phase either, flying high only to crash and burn in a few days. Matter of fact, my boys were driving me nuts yesterday afternoon, but I got through it.

I got two books at the morning meeting: "Living Sober" (which I had never seen before; was it available around 1987-1993?...) and the 12 & 12. They were out of Big Books. When I read those books, it made much more sense, and I am trying to hold on to the good stuff I heard and read, rather than remember some of the truly weird stuff said at the 6 PM meeting.

Somehow I missed the fact that there are 9 AM meetings every day in the next city, and usually (although not today) that is a perfect time for me! I guess that maybe these weren't listed on AA's website or something.

Can I get some advice about something I posted yesterday? As I mentioned, one woman who approached me really got in my face with a tough-love, Scared Straight demeanor. I honestly am not interested in calling her and listening to her. Sure, I am interested in learning from others' experience, but I'm not at all interested in dealing with this person. Matter of fact, many years ago, someone came into my life at a crisis point and was all too ready to TELL me what to do, lead me around by my nose, and treat me like a child. My feeling is that this person will not be good for me (although I was in touch with two other people yesterday who were).

So if I see this person at the Tuesday morning meeting again, how do I politely say "thanks, but no thanks"? I got a massive number of phone numbers yesterday--this group maintained a photocopied list of everyone who attends, which I thought was very cool--and I would just as soon listen to this person speak, but otherwise not have any contact with her.

Any comments would be appreciated.