View Single Post
Old 05-03-2005, 01:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
progress

Well I went to a meeting. I will probably look back on this and laugh--heck, I'm laughing about it right now: the meeting was called "Children R Welcome," and boy were they ever! A whole bunch of toddlers, a whole bunch of booboos, and a whole bunch of chaos.

I am just humbled by how difficult it is to stay away from alcohol right now. I still have misgivings about many aspects of AA, but I do have to admit that it did work for me in the past.

The hardest thing for me to remember is to emphasize principles not personalities. I have an uncanny talent for attracting the most neurotic/annoying person in a room, lol, and that certainly happened this morning. Although there was some great, great sharing, a woman came up to me after the meeting, insisted that I call her, and said that "when you call, I do the talking." With all due respect, I really don't need the tough-love approach right now. Of course, that's just like me to focus on the most annoying part!

But anyway, I just got off the phone with another person, and she indicated that local meetings (I had to travel to a nearby city to get to this one) have a wonderful fellowship. So here goes...

I must admit that it was a serious eye-opener to hear this man share about his experience. Like me, he had a lot of years, stopped going to meetings, and went back out. Unlike me, he ended up in a psych ward. And I knew right then and there, that could easily be me in the extremely foreseeable future.

Am I going to stick with AA in spite of its shortcomings in my mind? Yeah, for now I am. Everyone keep praying for me please! Thanks for listening.