View Single Post
Old 01-22-2015, 01:52 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
MythOfSisyphus

In the short term maybe staying with a friend or family member is a good idea. I would strongly suggest making sure your locks are up to snuff. I'm not sure if you're in a house or apt but to an extent this applies to both. Most of the time the deadbolt is high quality but the strike plate is usually only attacked with 3/4" screws! One good kick and the deadbolt will break the door jamb. The strike plate of your lock (the metal thing that your lock slides into) should be secured to the king or queen stud with 3" or 4" screws. The screws attaching the door to the hinges and the hinges to the door frame should also be longer and stronger than typically come with them. This is actually a very simple and inexpensive fix that will make things much more secure.

Lighting is also important. Make sure there aren't dark, shadowed areas around windows and doors that would let someone mess around there unseen. Windows should have locks on them as well, even upper floor windows. Don't leave ladders or tools that could be used for burglary in your yard. Funny story, my dad once had a shed that secured with a padlock on the outside. But one day he was too lazy to to open the lock so he left a pair of 3 foot long bolt cutters leaning up against the door right under the lock!

It would be a good idea to look up your neighborhood watch. Your local PD may also have tips for security.

Good luck and be safe! Remember that drinking won't make matters any better.