View Single Post
Old 01-20-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Tiredwife88

Husband home from rehab

I posted here a long time ago. Thought I'd come back for support.
My husband (50) just came home from 31 days at rehab, his second time. He was there 6 months ago and started drinking again after a week.
This time, he had 2 dwi's and ended up in jail. Something I thought "would never happen to our family".
I didn't bail him out because I didn't want him home. After 3 days I arranged for him to go back to rehab.

This time was so much better, they focused on mental issues as well as the alcoholism. He has adult add and anxiety. Maybe bipolar. He was in a co-occurring disorder group.
I was so sure things would be ok when he came home.

He's been home 2 days and it is not ok.
He has so far gone to 4 AA meetings, but doesn't seem to be doing the other things he was taught to do to help in recovery.
I know it's only been 2 days, but I thought he would be really "on task" especially in the beginning.

Today he went to our office (family business) which was a terrible idea because it was one of the biggest stressors for him. He saw damage he did there right before he was arrested, when he was drunk and angry that I took his keys.
I think seeing that brought back memories of how bad he was before rehab.
He came home tonight and flipped out, hitting himself and yelling at me and our 22 y.o. daughter.

I can't take this. I'm trying to be supportive, but taking care of myself also.

My question is to others whose spouses have come back home from rehab - is it normal to feel this way, unsure if you even like your sober spouse any more? How long does it take to get back to some semblance of a normal life?