View Single Post
Old 01-20-2015, 07:01 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
tomsteve

Originally Posted by Hangnbyathread View Post
tomsteve. TY very much for your post. When I see a RA that truly seems to get it, can own it and can articulate it, it gives us all hope that there is a path to the other side for the AC. If my XAGF could have ever gotten to your point, we could maybe have made it.

I wish every recovery program would introduce the recovering family members to ONE of you in the process early on. I find people like you motivational to the process. We can see the end of your journey, from the start of ours.
Thank you. I have been in AA and sober now over 9 years. Until recently A part of the program had been missing from my life. I can't recall exactly were( but I think it's in the chapter working with others) or exact wording but it talks about helping the family understand. Until recently I hadn't bee much of going into the F&F forum, but when I did I REALLY started reading the old drunken, disgusting, sick SOB I was and reading some of the stories,Welp, I'm not a mind reader or able to see in the future, but by the Grace of God I didn't completely destroy my memory and remember a whole lot and read the old me and remember what I used to do. And I am very blessed today to be able to see the damage I did.
My hope is only to possibly help someone on the other side( and believe it or not, after I got sober I was on the other side for a while!!! Dam karma) see what could happen. There wasn't one single person able to save me. Although some tried, it wasn't going to happen until I made the decision.
To get there I had to get to the point of desperation. The pain of getting drunk had FINALLY exceeded the pain of reality. I was finally out of denial the day after my last drunk. I saw the wreckage and wasn't trying to stuff it any more.
It was THEN that the fellowship of AA was able to step in and help me. Not carry my. Not do the footwork for me. Not enable me. But to guide me on how I should put in the footwork to change me.