View Single Post
Old 01-16-2015, 05:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ICanDoBetter

First post.. And my current mantra...

If I can, I must.

I've felt for years I have an issue with drinking responsibly, from the perspective of stopping when I have had enough. Like the potato chips I can usually avoid, one is never enough. I have mentioned it to my husband on occasion, that I need to stop.. But his only means of being supportive is to pick a little and then give up.

So of late I've been on a path of gradually correcting bad habits that have crept in and/ or worsened in the last few years after a course of stressful personal events. Cleaning up my eating, exercising more regularly... But refusing to give up "just a drink or two" which spirals into four or six every say of the week.

But I can do better. And I will. Sunday morning I decided to challenge myself to seven days of no alcohol. Seven days.. Mind over matter. Today I'm almost done with day six. And friday stinks. Since this morning it has plagued me with thoughts of maybe just one.. But I know it wouldn't be just one. And if I cave, I have to start counting all over again. And I'm hoping that Sunday I will decide I should aim for another seven days, knowing each is a one day at a time struggle of mind over matter. I'm not naive enough to try to tell myself I will never drink again.. But I think setting mini milestones may just be the path for now that can hopefully help me to end the cycle.. I hope... Because if I can, I must.