View Single Post
Old 01-16-2015, 08:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
FireSprite

Originally Posted by freetosmile View Post
Well I think I'll start by asking if anyone is nervous about dad coming home. I'm sure I'll get some yes's, so I'll ask them why and address those concerns. I will make sure to tell them all that I love them and that they have the right to feel safe in their own house. I'll tell them if they DON'T feel safe, I want them to come talk to me about it right away. I'll make sure to tell them that they won't be "telling on dad" if they come to me with a concern and that we all need to be sensitive to each others emotions because it might be a little uncomfortable at first.

I guess I'll start with that and see how the conversation goes from there.
Sounds good, I think you have a pretty good handle on things.... especially considering the breakdowns! It makes sense though - they must be feeling really confused & overwhelmed. ((((HUGS)))))

Let them know you are uneasy too, total transparency will only work in your favor, IMO. If you want them to show vulnerability you have to model it for them first, right? Remind them that your door remains open to them for any & all questions & that NO question or feeling is too dumb or insignificant to discuss.