View Single Post
Old 01-15-2015, 05:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Liberator4EVA

Let me translate for you - "miserable/boring/unhappy" = "opposed to my drinking!"

AM used to say this about my Dad, even though her own attitudes were quite conservative, and when drinking freely tended to buzzkill social gatherings quite effectively.

The only way to stop an alcoholic having that opinion of you is to not only permit their drinking without judgement, but to actually get drunk alongside them and match their level of intoxication on an hourly basis. The conflict would then shift to when the two of you are both blackout drunk, when you'd just beat the crap out of each other and get arrested.

A former friend of mine, a nightly drinker, had a night out with a mate of his who was further down that road than he was. At some point, his friend was asked to leave this wedding reception because he'd got too drunk, while both were waiting for a taxi outside, he became randomly enraged (as people do when 99% of their higher brain functions are shut down) and swung a haymaker at his best friend. He missed, fell over, cracked his head on the curb and ended up in a coma.