View Single Post
Old 01-14-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
LemonGirl

Originally Posted by NerdlyBeauty View Post
lillamy, this is EXACTLY what i needed to hear. I have explained to our son that his father is sick, and he knows how his father gets when he is drinking. I expect him to be sad and act out the first few weeks, but I don't want him to resent me years later. I don't have any hope that his father will ever seriously be in recovery.
You made the right decision. But about your son growing up to resent you...

We cannot control our children's choices either. All we can do is prepare them and support them. I wouldn't worry so much that your children might resent you. As long as you keep your relationship with him strong and raise him to know that you've got his back no matter what, even through resentment, he will also learn the truth and find a way to work through that resentment. All children grow up affected by their parents in some way or another. As we get older and we watch our parents get older... and then after we have our own children (if that happens), we learn that even our parents are human and make mistakes and choices that they felt were best for us when we were children. There will be a time when he will understand all of this. Thank God he has you looking out for him!