View Single Post
Old 01-14-2015, 04:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Thumper

This is his issue to figure out. He can figure it out. He's a grown man! You are NOT being insensitive. This part is so cloudy at first, or at least it was for me.

I also came to see that anything I did to help, money or otherwise, enabled his drinking. I was making decisions every day about where I spent my $40. Do I want a phone or do I want to do movie and pizza at home with the kids. I only had one $40 so I had to decide. He never once had to ask himself do I want a case of beer or do I want a phone - because I was paying for the phone.

So I began asking myself the same questions in a different way. Do I want a movie night for my kids - or do I want to pay for my ex husbands phone? Why am I making his sacrifices for him? I did not have a savings account or $$ for emergencies like car repair or medicine if someone got sick. I did not have a lot of things we needed. I wasn't starving but I was living dime to dime. Who was I taking care of? Where is *my* responsibility - it was at home for me and my kids. I had a lot of responsibility and another grown adult wasn't one of them.

You aren't responsible for him. You don't have to make his sacrifices for him.